The announcement came this week regarding Rawlings MLB American League and National League 2016 Golden Glove Award finalists. St. Louis Cardinals dynamic duo, Adam Wainwright and Yadier Molina are on the list of those deemed worthy of consideration in the National League. This season's winners of the coveted award will be announced, Tuesday, November 8.
Adam Wainwright two time NL Golden Glove recipient, 2009 and 2013,
Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright has received two NL Golden Glove awards during his tenure, in 2009 and 2013. He work in the field has been recognized this past season for his work in the field. He has been chosen as a finalist for 2016, along with starters - Chicago Cubs Jake Arrieta and Arizona Diamondbacks Zach Grienke.
YADIER MOLINA ~ CARDINALS 2016 MVP AND FIELD COMMANDER
Yadier Molina, Cardinals 2016 MVP, field commander, manager, and director, is an eight time Golden Glove award recipient.
Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Yadier Molina, Cardinals backstop extraordinaire, recently was named Cardinals 2016 MVP. He is commander, manager and 'Eyes of an Eagle' director for the Cardinals on the field. He has won eight consecutive NL Golden Glove awards. Should he win, this will be his ninth straight, one shy of ten straight by each, Ivan Rodriguez and Johnny Bench, for the major league record for catchers. Molina is among the NL top 2016 catchers; along with, San Francisco's Buster Posey and Texas Rangers Jonathan Lucroy, who had his first split MLB season in 2016. He was traded, August 1, by the Milwaukee Brewers in a four player transaction with the Rangers.
No, the Golden Glove is not based on a fan vote participation. Votes are cast by major league managers and coaches, which equals 75% of the voting. The remainder 25% are votes from members of the sabermetrics community. "SABR", the Society for American Baseball Research. Basically, a membership who collects "minute and fine detailed" data per player.
Only the best to Wainwright and Molina ~ a duo of excellence in Cardinals Nation.